11. Without fighting, stories have won over more people than all the great wars put together.
12. The greatest religions convert the world through stories.
18. The fact of story-telling hints at a fundamental human unease, hints at human imperfection. Where there is perfection there is no story to tell.
28. We are part human, part stories.
39. The stories of the Egyptians and the Greeks, rather than their poems, shaped the world's consciousness and named the stars.
52. A good story keeps on growing. A good story never dies.
60. Stories are always a form of resistance.
94. The imagination is one of the highest gifts we have.
Extracts taken from Aphorisms and Fragments by Ben Okri (published as part of Birds Of Heaven, Phoenix books).